The King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes
The race was created as the result of an amalgamation of the King George VI Stakes, run in October since 1946 as a race for three-year-olds over a distance of two miles, and the Queen Elizabeth Stakes which had been run each July since 1948 at one and a half miles. The amalgamated race was first run during the Festival of Britain in 1951, and was called the Festival of Britain King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes. The 'Festival of Britain' was removed from the name in 1952 and the race continued until 1974 as the 'King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Stakes'. Since 1972 it has been sponsored by the diamond company De Beers, and in 1975 permission was given by Queen Elizabeth II for the word 'Diamond' to be included in the title.
It is probably the highest quality race in the United Kingdom and it is an opportunity for the leading middle-distance three-year-olds to compete against the more established older horses. This race can often put the merits of the classic generation into context.