10 reasons why the Libertines should reunite
24 Apr 2014
Rumours about a possible Libertines reunion have been flying around since an image of Hyde Park was posted on their official Facebook page.
The image was posted on 20 April and was soon followed by comments from Pete Doherty stating that he had been made an offer to reunite the band. Carl Barat seemed to confirm the news saying that a reunion is ‘very much a possibility’ and adding ‘keep the 5th July free’ in an interview with Gigslutz .
British Summer Time festival then posted a blurred Time For Heroes image with ‘We’ve heard some rumours’, ‘BST Hyde Park’ and ‘5 July 2014’ written over the top using the Libertines font.
With that in mind, here are 10 reasons why we need to see a Libertines reunion in 2014.
1) Some would argue they are one of the most influential acts of the last decade. Following in the footsteps of the Beatles (60s), Sex Pistols (70s), The Smiths (80s) and Oasis (90s).
2) Throughout their time they have created some of the best and worst news headlines.
3) You just want to see ‘the likely lads’, Carl and Pete, together again on stage.
4) We want to see the 'real thing’. Too many bad bands are imitating The Libertines. Enough is enough.
5) It has been four years since their 2010 reunion at Reading and Leeds Festival, which was too good to not be repeated.
6) Any reason to stop Pete from doing another Babyshambles record.
7) Despite only releasing two albums, they reached cult status and left a lasting impact on the music world.
8) Indie kids dressed in Zulu army jackets look cooler than the parka brigade at The Stone Roses gigs.
9) It has been 10 years since the release of their 2014 album The Libertines and, equally, ten years since the band first called it a day.
10) Musically, it would be one of the best reunions we have seen in a long time…